21 jun 2011

MEET NEW TALENT IN QATAR!



We interview the indian emerging designer  based in Qatar SELINA FAROOQUI   who just gratuated this year at Virginia Commonwealth University in honors and  was awarded best designer in Doha, Qatar. She will talk to us about the Fashion Industry in Qatar , glamorous qatari women and their tastes and likes!.

Entrevistamos a la diseñadora de origen indio SELINA FAROOQUI recién graduada y alumna sobresaliente de Virginia Commonwealth University y premiada como mejor diseñadora en Doha, Qatar.Nos hablará en esta entrevista sobre la industria de la moda en Qatari, las mujeres cataríes y lo que les gusta!.

Selina , which are your sources of inspiration?
I am inspired a lot by nature, the colors, the different textures and the delicate beauty of it. I’m also inspired by fabrics. My design process in some ways is backwards from the regular process. I love finding unique and interesting fabrics. I let the fabric speak to me and I design based on that. I have built entire collections around a single fabric I have found. I love mixing and matching rich colors and prints with luxurious brocades, jacquards and embroidered pieces. Wherever I travel, I love visiting the local textile markets, its truly a treat for the senses and is very inspiring and I usually end up spending my entire shopping allowance on fabrics!
Háblanos sobre tus fuentes de inspiración.
Me inspiro en la  belleza ; naturaleza, colores, texturas, telas ... mi metodología de diseño es poco convencional, lo hago más bien al revés de lo que se acostumbra a hacer . Me encanta descubrir tejidos originales  e interesantes ,me dejo seducir por su lenguaje y baso mi diseño y mi colección entera  en lo que los tejidos me  transmiten. Me encanta mezclar y combinar colores , utilizar  estampados intensos , bordados sofisticados y lentejuelas .cuando viajo , me gusta ir a los mercados de tejidos; estimula mis sentidos y me inspira muchíssimo. Normalmente gasto todo mi presupuesto en tejidos !

Vision of the European& American market towards the Gulf fashion industry?
I believe there is a huge European and American market here in the Middle East for fashion. I have met so many women here who are interested in what I do and what I design. And although the shopping here is great, sometimes it is difficult to find that one fabulous piece, that is unique and still at an middle affordable price. Here is where I feel I fit into the market. My garments are all one of a kind, the fabrics are imported from India and mixed together with local fabrics, the embellishments and details are all hand done by myself, I am always experimenting with new ways to embellish and adorn my clothes, from making unique belts to beading. Therefore I feel my garments are special, I hope they have that touch that this piece was made by someone who loves what they do. And I try to keep my prices, not at the mass market level, but not also at the luxury designer level. They are in the middle. And the garments are versatile enough that you can just buy one piece, for example a statement jacket, and wear it in so many different ways.
Qué diferencias ves entre el mercado de Occidente de los países del Golfo?
Creo que en el Golfo les encanta el estilo occidental. El problema que hay en el Golfo es que  es diíficil encontrar piezas originales , de calidad  a buen precio. Pasamos de las grandes marcas de lujo a marcas de mercadillo, no hay término medio y ahí está mi mercado. Mis prendas son especiales y con una buena relación calidad-precio. Importo los tejidos de India , los mezclo con tejidos catarís y los decoro con detalles a mano. Siempre experimento con nuevas técnicas para embellecer mis prendas y darles un toque de distinción. Un ejemplo de ellos son mis característicos cinturones. Todas mis prendas son muy verstátiles, si adquieres por ejemplo una chaqueta encontrarás mil formas de combinarla!.

How you see the fashion industry in Qatar.
The fashion industry in Qatar is growing. There is more appreciation for young designers. Women in the region want something new and fresh and unique. That is where my job lies, to provide them with something they can get no where else but here. I have had so many wonderful opportunities presented to me here, such as charity fashion shows, private showcases and trunk shows. And even just looking at the women here, they are so glamorous. There is an elegance as well as a playfulness to their style, and I find that so inspiring.
Cómo ves el mundo de la moda en Qatar.
La industria está creciendo. Los catarís valoran cada vez más a los diseñadores emergentes y las mujeres buscan prendas nuevas, frescas y únicas. Mi trabajo consiste en satisfacer esa necesidad y darles una prenda de edición limitada. Qatar me ha ofrecido maravillosas oportunidades, como pasarelas de beneficiencia, pases privados , ferias de muestras y oportunidades para mostrar mis colecciones en suites privadas de hoteles. basta con observar como visten las mujeres cataríes, son súper glamurosas, elegantes y les encanta jugar con su estilo!. Lo encuentro muy inspirador!. 

Do you personalize garments, what  Qatari women request?
I have made personalized garments for several women so far, some local, some expat. That is actually how I started, by making garments on private order.
Personalizas tú misma las prendas? Qué quieren las mujeres cataríes?
He hecho varias prendas a medida y únicas para muchas mujeres locales e incluso expatriadas. De hecho así es como empecé, diseñando a medida. 

What´s next for you?
I will keep working on strengthening my brand image, Selina Farooqui. I feel I have many dimensions as a designer. One dimension I have started exploring is my cultural background, mixing indian with arabic inspirations and styles into contemporary garments.I feel the variety of my work will keep growing and I will keep developing different styles of garments, but never forgetting to add a touch of what makes my designs uniquely "Selina Farooqui" fashions. 
Qué proyectos tienes como diseñadora?
Quiero consolidar mi marca, Selina Farooqui. Creo que tengo mucho que ofrecer y tengo muchas facetas como diseñadora. Una de las facetas que he empezado a explorar está relacionada con mis orígenes en la India, que mezclo con estilos árabes para sacar una prenda ultra moderna. Mi estilo tiene que evolucionar mucho todavía pero siempre conservaré el toque de Selina Farooqui que hace que mis prendas tengan personalidad y sean piezas típicas "Selina Farooqui". 











 Our best wishes Selina!























4 comentarios:

  1. Congratullations to this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I Already said it to you in his day and I repeat it today, his designs seem to me brilliant and his way of proceeding even that she says that it is slightly conventional to me personally looks like to me the best and the most correct. To leave that the materials tell you their own history, say to you where you have to go or since they want to transform it is a guarantee of sure success. I believe that he is the designer the one that has to continue to the materials (I have always believed that they have proper life) and not on the contrary, for that the other way round it does not work. So, CONGRATULATIONS to Selina for a fantastic work that only it has just begun!!!!!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thank you Nuria, your contributions are always so enriching and interesting!!!. Selina will love to hear that!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Buena entrevista!. No sólo saber el punto de vista de una diseñadora en Qatar sobre el mercado sinó del gusto de las cataríes!!!. Me encanta !!!.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I´m with Rosana ! She reminds me of Custo a bit !
    Cool interview !

    ResponderEliminar